This is a wake up call for those who believe that they can do nothing to reduce their risk of falling sick. When it comes to health, evil is watching you closely at least three times a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Truth is hard to accept and nobody wants to change direction if the effort does not seem justified. Ask yourself some crucial questions about nutrition and take a moment to reflect:
- Millions of books about weight-loss and dieting are sold every year: Have you observed improvements in the health of people you know?
- Pricey organic items have become popular in supermarkets: When was the last time that you witnessed those products having a positive effect on someone's health?
- Thousands of men and women endure the high cost and inconvenience of medical prescriptions for losing weight: How many friends or family members do you know who have followed such treatments successfully?
The reality is that most people's health-improvement attempts are fraught with waste and disappointment. Despite great intentions and strenuous effort, tangible results tend to be negligible.
The reason why most weight-loss plans fail is well known but rarely mentioned: Prescriptive diets are unnatural and expensive.
They create massive stress and anxiety. They go against the grain by trying to push people into radically new habits. On top of that, they can be highly impractical and time-consuming. No wonder that many give up after a while. Who wants to lead a life that resembles hell?
Take heart and stick to your dreams, since there is a better way. It is called rationality. Despite massive propaganda to the contrary, human beings are essentially rational. All of us can be fooled for a while, but we ultimately come around and begin to ask tough questions.
- We want to see beneficial results in exchange for our commitment.
- We want to make sure that we are advancing on the right track.
- We want to experience daily progress in our long-term endeavours
- Replace high-fat meat by simple fish.
- Discard apple pie and munch a modest apple.
- Choose water rather than carbonated drinks.
- Learn to make your own pizza at home by mixing whole-wheat flour and yeast. Making pizza dough by hand is not difficult. Whole-wheat pizza with tomatoes, tuna, and olives (but without cheese) is delicious and healthy.
In dieting, weight-loss, or health improvement, remind yourself constantly that you only live once. The suffering and deprivation of radical diets might make your days bitter, but almost never better.
You are an intelligent being and it is all natural that you prefer positive experience to speculative theories. Check the facts and obtain proof. Then make up your mind and move.
[Image by Foodies under Creative Commons Attribution License. See the license terms under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us]