The misunderstanding has its roots in our perception of sickness and death as the following sequence of events:
- You are born into a certain family and social environment.
- You live, eat, and work according to what is generally considered acceptable.
- One day, cancer, cardiovascular disease, or other major sickness hits you out of the blue.
- You follow a medical treatment in order to combat that particular illness.
- Even if the treatment is successful, sooner or later, another disease will come to haunt you.
- Finally, when medical treatments fail, you die.
[Image by oliveheartkimchi under Creative Commons Attribution License. See the license terms under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us]