A valid approach
Various approaches have been tried against poverty, with different levels of success. Living in an environment of deprivation can undermine a man's spirit and this is why he needs to figure out a feasible plan to improve his situation. What we know is that unrealistic expectations do not work.
If you happen to find yourself living in a poor district of town, you do not need to give up your hopes of a better future. If you are suffering from lack of formal education, becoming bitter is not going to improve anything.
What is needed is to take action to detect and seize available opportunities, but frequently, those can only be perceived when we look at the world realistically. When a man is unemployed or stuck in low-income occupations, he might develop a view of the world that prevents him from seizing his chances.
The conviction that nobody is going to listen to one's troubles does not necessarily correspond to reality. The perceptions that nobody is going to help and that no one cares are contrary to the fact that opportunities, although scarce, do exist.
The great news is that businessmen, generally speaking, like to grow their companies and that this creates sales openings in many areas. The way out of poverty involves the recognition that a man must often take whatever jobs are offered, even if he would have liked to do something else.
Sales work is available almost at any time, irrespective of the overall economic situation, since selling is the most critical business function. Taking a sales position is frequently the only way available to break out of poverty into fields of better opportunity, so here is my advice:
- Go to the public library, borrow some books about sales, and study them.
- Get a suit and a tie, even if they are second hand, so that you can go to interviews.
- Forget about fixed-income jobs and look instead for a sales position.
- Ignore those around you who criticize or ridicule your ambitions.
- Watch the best-performing salesmen in your company and listen to their advice.
- Keep on reading about sales and learn as much as you can about your industry.
- Gain experience and become proficient in sales.
- Move to a better sales job.
- In the future, consider the possibility of starting your own company.
Taking the future in one's own hands might require discarding unrealistic ideas held in the past. The fact is that some opportunities exist and others are hard to come by. Experience shows that sales work can be the way to a better life, a path that many have successfully walked before.
For more information about rational living and personal development, I refer you to my book The 10 Principles of Rational Living
Image by DALBERA under Creative Commons Attribution License. See the license terms under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us